home about contact sponsor why teaching midweek FAQs

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Deep Thoughts on a Thursday Night (not really)

Disclaimer: I feel the need to apologize in advance for this post. It has been one of those days, and I'm currently sitting in Starbucks drinking iced coffee (my body hardly even reacts to caffeine anymore, in case you are wondering) because my husband is amazing; and, I'm feeling a little scattered and a lot like just writing tonight. So bear with me... This is going to be a lot of words to get to some (not very) deep thoughts...


Today started out on a high note because I didn't have to fly out of bed at 6AM to run around the house like a chicken with my head cut off trying to at least pick up my dirty socks and put away the remnants of the previous night's dinner before the babysitter arrived.  (It is worth noting here that the reason I didn't have remnants to pick up is because we had a family date night at the local Sam's Club snack bar for dinner Wednesday night.  Yes, I just admitted that.) Anyway, instead, I slept in until  6:30 and then ran around like a chicken with my head cut-off in order to be teaching by 7:30.  Either way, I actually blow-dried my hair and wore a decently cute outfit (which is an accomplishment these days), so I deemed it a success.

Work was good too.  Have I mentioned lately that I love my job?  I'm teaching Romeo and Juliet in ninth grade which, truly, brings out the full-on English teacher nerd in me.  I love teaching it.  (Don't be confused though, I'm no Shakespeare aficionado - I've just been refining my lesson plan for this unit since my student teaching days, and it is pretty darn good ifidosaysomyself). Also, my tenth graders started this book today - which had them really interested and involved and (thanks to our all-sorts-of-mixed-up-weather) we got to sprawl out on the lawn and read in the 80 degree sunshine. Not a bad way to bring home the bacon. ;)



Later in the day, after Sam's nap, we took a walk in his wagon with our friends down the street, which was nice... until one of the other neighbors stopped us to congratulate me on my pregnancy.  (#notpregnant) In her defense, there are four of us young moms in one block on our street - and two of them are pregnant; but still... Just never do that, ok?

When I got home, I had a sudden burst of energy and decided (perhaps motivated by the pregnancy comment) to make a healthy dinner for us tonight.  I had salmon filets in the freezer (first mistake), a maple-dijon glaze recipe I'd been wanting to try for a while, and a new Barney video on Amazon Prime for Sam.  Anyway, I worked really hard on it; but, the fish turned out pale and slimy, Sam got bored of Barney and extra whiney, and Jeff was late coming home from work...  End result: We  picked at our plates for a while and then agreed that cereal was probably a better option.  Sam's Club one night and cereal the next - just call me Susie Homemaker. ;)


After "dinner," I announced that I needed some me time and headed to Target alone. Dream.

I had a fleeting low moment when I got there and realized my yoga pants were literally covered in dirty little hand prints; but, I got over that and quickly found my mo-jo again when I witnessed a mom go through the Target doors with her two little boys and head directly to the snack-bar where she purchased a large popcorn and Hawaiian punch to, presumably, sedate her kids while she shopped.  I think this is kind-of pathetic of me, but simply seeing that made me SO happy.  I love being in the mama club.  I love that we can "fake" it all we want, but we are all just doing the best we can. (Luckily for her, I busied myself in the jewelry section and resisted the urge to run up and hug her and say something along the lines of "I fed my son an unwashed strawberry yesterday, AND I've been wondering how young was too young to eat Target popcorn! Thank you!"  Self.control.) 

I browsed for over an hour, spent too much money (who has ever left Target without doing that?), and felt guilty.  But, I did get this cute shirt and some fun gifts for some friends about to have babies... So, I didn't feel that bad.


And, now, here I am at Starbucks...  When I bought my drink, I could have sworn I gave the man a 10 for my $4.00 bill (which may or may not have included a chocolate cake-pop #andiwonderwhypeoplethinkiampregnant), but he swore I gave him a 5.  We went back and forth for a few seconds, and it was awkward; but, in the end, I let him win... Then, I sat down at my table and checked my Target receipt and - well - it turns out there was absolutely no way I gave the guy a ten dollar bill.  I was wrong all along.  Worst... So, I had to go back and apologize and, for some reason,   it made me want to burst into tears.  #Whatiswrongwithme? #IpromiseIamnotpregnant!


This is the part where I need to admit that sometimes I really miss my "really stressful" college life...  Sometimes, I long to live with all my best friends in a big house and only really have my bedroom to keep neat again.  I miss being able to blow all my month's budget on one shopping trip and not really have to worry about it (except for knowing that I'd have to eat Ramen for a few weeks).  I miss having five hours to sit at Starbucks if I want to and being able to call it "studying."  I miss weighing 130 pounds and thinking that was fat.  It's funny how, in every stage it seems, I think I am so busy and so overwhelmed, and then the next stage makes that one look like a piece of cake (or a cake pop as the case may be).  I wonder if, one day, when I have a house full of teenagers, I will remember the days of only having one baby and working part-time, and think I had it so easy....


Anyway... I'm home now.  And, you know what?  My house is quiet.  Sam has been bathed and put to bed, the kitchen has been cleaned, and Jeff is sitting on the back deck having a beer with one of the neighbors (apparently both were on "dad duty" tonight and our boys had a wild evening of playing with the hose while I was gone).   Yes, my suitcase is still not unpacked from our trip to Fredericksburg almost a week ago, and I spent the entire hour I had at Starbucks blogging and not crossing one single thing off of my to-do list; but, our life is SO good. Despite all the ups and downs in a day, I wouldn't change a single thing about where I am right now.  Really.


Tomorrow is another day... Even better, it is a Friday and I won't have to wake up and frantically clean the kitchen in the morning (for the second day in a row!).  Tomorrow, I will go to a job I love.  Then, I will come home to a house that feels more like a home than I ever could have imagined it would.  I will take Sam to the playground behind us, and we will meet friends on the sidewalk out front.  Jeff will pick up a Little Caesar's deep dish pizza for dinner (because we hear they are really good and we may as well end the week with a bang, right?), and we will watch a movie after Sam goes to bed.

I will crawl into bed in a minute and remember how blessed I am. I will thank God for this life and smile realizing that it is exactly the life I dreamed about when I was in college.  It is good.

The end.  And happy Friday (tomorrow)!

19 comments:

  1. There are some lessons that I have refined over and over again, and I am pretty proud of those too. I also miss those stressful college days. (and I'm not even a mom!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate with you on so many points, but I love that you ended on such a cheery positive note. It is so true that our lives are GREAT even though they are hectic. Glad you are appreciating it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really, truly love how real you keep your blog. I read all kinds of mommy blogs, as I'm getting ready to become one myself in 6 months, and I enjoy them tremendously, but most of the time they make mommyhood seem so perfect and flawless to the point of making me doubt a. if they deluding themselves and b. how I could ever do what they do, whether is is all true, or whether it is just pretending it is. You tell it how it is and are honest with your thoughts and doubts, and that really is what makes me realize that I CAN be a good mom. I know I won't ever be like those "seemingly perfect" moms, but I know that if motherhood is filled with ups and downs and REAL LIFE STUFF, then I can make it. You rock. I think you are doing a great job at being a mom. That is all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are known to get the $10 Sams Club meal- a whole pizza & 2 fountain drinks - quite often. It's the best supper in my book! No shame in big box stores snack bars, or "cafes" as I prefer to call them. Where did you eat for dinner last night? oh a yummy little cafe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love you, girl. Love the honesty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes and Amen to the paragraph about missing college - every word of it. When my son was turning two I had the scary realization that this time with one child, a non-baby, would be the easiest parenting would ever be for me. And now as he is 3.5 and I am weeks away from welcoming baby #2, I am both excited and very nervous. Makes it easy to long for the days with less responsibility. Thanks for the reminder that one day I will probably be longing for these days. :) I loved this post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your blog because you are so honest about the good, the bad, and everything in between. I've actually done the exact same thing at Starbucks, only they actually gave me the change for more than I paid. I realized it after I got home and drove back to return the extra money because I felt so badly (and super embarrassed!). It happens!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good post, beautifully written !
    You are a good blogger.

    Visit mine too and don't forget to add some comments.

    Thanks
    Rajiv
    http://www.magnificentdewdrops.blogspot.com
    http://www.magicalpresent.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your honesty! I miss my college days too when all I had to worry about was school. Then sometimes I'm glad I'm on the other side because I finally feel so settled and happy with where I am. I certainly miss my pre baby body too:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. We've all been there! And the yoga pants covered in handprints? Last night I realized that I'd been walking around with stickers of eyes on my yoga pants. Toddlers!

    P.S.
    Romeo and Juliet was my favorite unit to teach ninth graders too! I loved it, and so did they!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this post. Probably because it sounds like myself...why is it that when I leave my husband at home the house is put together? love the way you wrapped up the post -so true!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this post! Love it! So true! And I can so relate!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your blog. That is all! :)

    Really, love how real you are without seeming like a martyr! (Some blogs that say "they want to be "real" when they blog) really just complain the whole time. That is not what you do!)

    I hope that made sense! Ha! It's a compliment, but i don't think it's coming out right!

    ReplyDelete
  14. love the honesty! when you gotta write, you gotta write. enjoy your weekend. : )

    ReplyDelete
  15. The very best part of teaching ninth grade is Romeo and Juliet. Loved this post.

    Despite your very encouraging posts about teaching part time, I bit the bullet and resigned from teaching today. Gaaah! What the what? I'll live vicariously through you because I KNOW I'll miss it so, so, so much.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can definitely relate to missing all of those "super stressful" college days. Seems like nothing, now! I kind of miss stressing over taking tests instead of creating/grading/remediating them! As always, your honesty is endearing, very real, and very appreciated. I'm hosting a linky party at Eat.Write.Teach. and I definitely thought of you! It's called Top 10 for Teaching and the purpose is to share the top ten reasons you are a teacher. I'd love it if you'd join. It's great to get insight from another high school teacher. :) Here's the link: http://www.eatwriteteach.com/2013/04/and-this-is-why-you-should-be-teacher.html

    Keep up the writing! You are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This was an awesome post, and I'm so glad I read it today! My husband has been kind and generous enough to give me those "me" moments lately too, and I have also reflected on how much easier my life was BC (before child)...even though I thought it was so hard. Anyway, thank you again for sharing your thoughts and feelings on this topic. I look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Where is the "like" button for this?

    I really liked this :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are what makes this thing fun! I LOVE to hear from you and do my best to respond to everyone! THANK YOU!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover