home about contact sponsor why teaching midweek FAQs

Friday, May 17, 2013

It Won't Be Like This For Long

Last night after another botched attempt at dinner (anyone have a good, easy, healthy recipe for pork chops?), we took a little drive as a family, and I said to Jeff: "Some nights, I just get tired of the monotony of being a parent... You know, doing the same thing every.single.night - bath, books, bed, etc.  Some nights, I just want to stick him in his bed and do what I feel like doing."

I understand if you think I'm an ungrateful jerk right now; but, it's the truth.  As much as I LOVE Sam and LOVE being his mom; sometimes, I'm just tired.

Anyway, we talked about it a bit, but - as they tend to do, the evening went on and an hour or so later I found myself bathing, drying, diapering, and dressing a tired boy once again.

Our routine is pretty predictable.  We played for a little bit in his room, read a couple of our standard books; and then, just like every night, we said our prayers. But last night, for the first time ever, as I prayed, Sam folded his little hands, bowed his head, and closed his eyes tight.  I peeked at him just as I said "Amen" and my heart nearly exploded. 

It was like God's personal reminder to me that even the "normal" moments are SUCH a gift and this time really does go so fast.  It's been a hard week with a sick boy and a grumpy mom... I needed it.


You've probably already seen/heard this, but one of my former students (thanks Katie!) sent me a link to this song the other night and said it reminded her of Sam and me.  The song is "It Won't Be Like This For Long" and I've included the music video below.  Watch it if you could use a reminder today too. :)


Happy Friday!!

9 comments:

  1. You are SOOO not alone in those feelings. We've all been there. I've had them too and struggled with it, given the fact that it took 5 years and countless infertility treatments to bring him to us. But you're right, God has such an amazing way of reminding us just how special the ordinary can be! I just made my coworker listen to the song. Her first child is graduating on Sunday. We were a pool of tears over here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I go through this about once a week. My son is 9. Even though his schedule has changed, he plays sports and so each day is really not EXACTLY the same, it is. So, thanks for sharing this, I could use the reminder.

    Now - here's what I do for pork chops. And chicken actually. Because it's easy and requires little attention:

    clean the meat. Place the meat in a bowl and add any type of marinade. You can buy some good ones at Walmart but my family's faves are teriyaki and Garlic Herb. McCormick I think but any will do. When you're ready to fix them, line a baking dish with foil (easier cleanup!), place the chops (or chicken) in the dish. I sprinkle salt, pepper, sometimes paprika, or oregano, or Mrs Dash on the meat. Add a bit of extra marinade from the bottle to each peice. Add some water to the dish. Maybe 1/4 inch or so. Cover the dish (i use more foil). Bake at 350 for 45 mins to an hour. For me, I just do this as soon as I get home from work, around 4:30 or 5. Then, its tender and ready by 6:00 for dinner. Another option is to thaw the meat, skip the marinade. Just season with salt, pepper, etc. add the water, cover and bake for the same amount of time. About 45 mins in, I take the dish out, drain the water, cover the meat with bbq sauce. I don't rub it in or anything, just squirt it on. Place back in the over UNCOVERED for about 15 more mins... Wonderful bbq chops or chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have this exact conversation on a weekly basis and then we remind ourselves that some people would do ANYTHING to have our lives - jobs, a home, cars, family, friends, a BABY! It does seem like a never-ending routine, but we will wish we had these days back in a few years. Have a great weekend, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love when little moments like that pop up and remind me of what a gift this life is! I hope you both feel better soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful song - thank you for posting it! Last night, as we were putting our little girl to bed, we had one of those moments. She was drifting to sleep after nursing, had her little hands resting on the boppy and looked like a little angel. I said to my husband, "One day we will wish for this moment back" and as we scooped her up and put her in her crib, we both had a moment of pure love for our baby girl. Life moves so fast and it's those little moments that cause us to stop and be thankful and feel so blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's the routine that we get frustrated with. I had one of those moments yesterday, especially since everything wasn't going my way. But then, Michael sat next to me, looked over to his right, and began making faces at me. That's when I remembered why I love being a mom. It can get mundane doing the same thing over and over again, but we just have to remember to look at the small blessings like you said.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was just telling some friends today that sometimes, I just skip bath time for my son because momma just don't have the energy for it!

    My favorite recipes are all crockpot ones because it's just easier. {especially with crockpot liners... no clean up!} One from the Crockin' Girls cook book calls for a pork loin, but I use 4-6 pork chops instead. Throw in a bottle of bbq sauce and a can of apple pie filling, cook on low for 6-8 hours. Serve over rice... so delicious!

    Just this week I cooked frozen chicken overnight in the crockpot. It already had some seasonings on it, but all I did was pour in about half of a bottle of italian dressing. I took it out to cool in the morning and just reheated it for dinner and my husband {who hates any type of salad dressing!} and I couldn't stop talking about how tender and tasty the chicken was! I'm sure this would also work good with pork chops!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the pork chop recipe I use, and it's so easy, quick, and delicious!

    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Broiled-Pork-Chops/Detail.aspx

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are what makes this thing fun! I LOVE to hear from you and do my best to respond to everyone! THANK YOU!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover