home about contact sponsor why teaching midweek FAQs

Sunday, August 18, 2013

5 Must-Have Supplies for High Schoolers (and a Way to Give Back)

“I participated in a campaign on behalf of Mom Central Consulting for Boys & Girls Clubs of America. I received a promotional item as a thank you for participating.”

Remember the good old days in elementary school when every WalMart in town carried freshly printed supply lists from every school?!?  Oh how I loved picking out my new pencil pouch and Lisa Frank folder that I absolutely HAD to have because "the teacher said so."  It was, truly, Christmas in August.

Of course, somewhere along the way, the universe decided that this was far too easy and decided to get rid of supply lists at the secondary level.  As a result, by the first day of school, the supplies will be picked over and thousands of teenagers will be swarming the aisles scrambling to find college-ruled paper, a black & white composition book, etc. etc. some time between the first and second day of school.  It's a sad sad situation.  ;)

In an effort to be "part of the solution," I've put together a little list of school supplies that I recommend for high schoolers... Excluding the standard paper and pens, here are five organizational tools for students that I consider "must haves" so you can get a head-start on the crowds:

(1 & 2) Whenever a student asks me for help in a class, the first place I start is organizing their class materials.  This is SO important and a great skill for teens to learn before they graduate.  It is as simple as a three-ring binder and a five-pack of tab dividers.

(3) There are a million resources online to make flash cards etc., but I'm a firm believer in the "write it to remember it" philosophy. I LOVE good, old-fashioned flash cards to student vocabulary terms, literary concepts, etc. etc. 

(4) We do a lot of annotating in my class, so highlighters are a must.

(5) At my school, students are actually issued a laptop at the beginning of the school year; but, even still, they are CONSTANTLY 'losing' assignments to the great unknown space of the computer and/or 'unable to print,' etc.  You can find flash drives just about anywhere, and they are very affordable now.  

Speaking of Back-to-School, I'm excited to tell you a little bit about a way YOU can help the Boys & Girls Club of America and Disney support students by participating in their online supply drive...

It's super easy... Just take a fun pop-quiz style game, and Disney will donate school supplies for each correct answer to local BGCA chapters!  



You can get more information about this and other BGCA Back-to-School initiatives, as well as access to a plethora of great back-to-school tips etc. here.  Please take a few minutes to support today's youth and education!

What are you doing to get ready to go back to school?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are what makes this thing fun! I LOVE to hear from you and do my best to respond to everyone! THANK YOU!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover