home about contact sponsor why teaching midweek FAQs

Sunday, August 25, 2013

End-of-Summer Staycation

Earlier in the summer, Homes.com contacted me about reviewing their 2013 "Ultimate Summer Staycation Guide," and I - of course - obliged.  I love the concept of a staycation - enjoying a relaxing break from the norm without actually travelling.  Not only is this a much more affordable option than big vacations, anyone who's ever traveled with a toddler can appreciate the ease of NOT having to pack, entertain during a car drip, and unpack. Am I right?!?


Unfortunately, we've been so busy going this summer, that I haven't really had the opportunity to plan our own staycation.  Luckily, I'm a big believer in the "it ain't over till it's over" philosophy, so - even though I am officially back to school already - we are going to be celebrating the official end to summer with a Labor Day staycation next weekend.

According to the guide, there are a few "dos" and "don'ts" to keep in mind when planning a staycation:

- DO relax, plan ahead, set a budget, clean your place ahead of time, take lots of photos, try new places and activities, and explore your own community.

- DON'T check your email, voicemail, or do work, run errands or do chores, stick to the "usual" places and hangouts, or be a couch potato.


Considering those things (and the fact that it is a three day weekend), I'm planning for our official staycation to run from about 6PM on Saturday to 6PM on Monday.  This allows me some time to recover from my first full week back at work and get housework done on Saturday, plus have some time Monday night to get organized for the next week while still giving us a solid 48 hours to play and relax.  I am also giving myself a budget of roughly $100.00 for the two days. 

Based off of the great ideas and advice provided in the guide, here are a few things on my staycation agenda...

- Watch the season opener football games for both Clemson and Virginia Tech with friends
- Visit our newly re-opened science museum and butterfly exhibit downtown
- Take an evening boat ride on the lake
- Eat breakfast for dinner
- Make Blueberry Oatmeal Marshmallow Cookies (recipe on page 14 of the guide)
- Pack a picnic and explore a new park
- Have a family movie night

I'm getting giddy just thinking about it; BUT, if I'm being totally honest, also a little anxious... Disconnecting from technology and avoiding any form of work/chores for 48 hours is pretty far out of my comfort zone these days.  Regardless, I think this will be the perfect "end" to a wonderful summer for our little family and a much-needed recharge before a busy busy school year. 

 I'll let you know how it goes. :)

So, what about you?  Do you have plans for next weekend?  Want to join us in the staycation challenge?  You can download the full staycation guide from Homes.com right here. (Even if you aren't planning a staycation this year, there are still lots of great family fun ideas and recipes.)


*I was given a $100.00 Visa gift card in exchange for my review; but, I really did enjoy the guide & gleaned some great ideas for planning my own staycation!

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea! I hope you're able to mentally disconnect from all the "to-dos" (so hard, I know!!) and enjoy a relaxing long weekend. Oh and GO HOKIES!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are what makes this thing fun! I LOVE to hear from you and do my best to respond to everyone! THANK YOU!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover