home about contact sponsor why teaching midweek FAQs

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

In Which We Go to a Water Park

Few things are funnier to me right now than the fact that my 92 year old grandfather, 57 year old uncle, 24 year old sister and me spent the afternoon at a Myrtle Beach Water Park. 

It was just like the old days... Kathryn and I ran around like the Bopsy twins in matching black bathing suits (although, to say we looked alike in them would be a BIG stretch), giggled our hearts out, raced down the slides (which I much enjoyed until I realized that my "victories" were really just proof that I am heavier than my sister), and made Poppy follow us around and cheer as we hit the water. *Don't worry... He just watched his grown-up grandchildren.  I'm pretty sure he had every single one of the health risks they advise to avoid the water slides if you have.  As much as he claims he can't wait to die, I don't want to personally be responsible for it!  :)

Of course, one of the major differences from our younger days, was the fact that every male we passed had to check out my sister today.  (I never remember this happening when we were six and eight.  Strange.)  Plus, at a few points after coming down a particularly "violent" slide, I worried that we might get kicked out of the park for "indecent exposure."  Wedgie much?  Not to mention the time when we were simply rinsing off under a mushroom-shaped waterfall in the kiddie pool, and Kathryn pointed out that we looked like we were filming a dirty rap video.  Awesome.

Uncle David fell into this childhood trance too.  In fact, after disappearing for about an hour, we finally found him swimming (not floating) around the Lazy River hiding behind rafts and avoiding the lifeguards who kept blowing the whistle and yelling at him for not staying in his tube.  Luckily, he was NOT wearing his speedo today.

There truly is something about being on a family beach trip with no boyfriends or husband that makes you revert - just a little - back to your childhood days.  (i.e. Kat and I sharing a bed and sneaking in little packets of Curious George fruit snacks.) And, I'm not going to lie, I kind-of love it!

Of course, I also thought a little about my future.  Especially when I saw a dad wearing water shoes running through the park with his little kids and a mom chasing behind them yelling "Wait!  Wait! We have a plan!!!"  Haha! That is totally going to be Jeff and me! 

Anyways, hope you guys are having a good week! Happy Hump Day! 


3 comments:

  1. hahaha... i don't know about jeff, but that will definitely be you with the water shoes and the plan :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I come on your family vacations from now on?! This sounds great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post made me smile! I love sister time!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are what makes this thing fun! I LOVE to hear from you and do my best to respond to everyone! THANK YOU!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover