home about contact sponsor why teaching midweek FAQs

Sunday, November 20, 2011

4 Months

Well, I'm only one week late this time, which is an improvement from last month, so we'll call it a success...

I can hardly believe my fingers as a type this...

Sam is 4 months old!

I'll save you from another rant about how fast time flies; but, just know... it does.

Size: At his four month check-up today, Sam weighed 15 pounds exactly and was 24 3/4 inches long.  That keeps him right smack in the middle - the 50th percentile for his age group.  (His head, on the other hand, is now 17" around and has moved up to the 75th percentile.) I'm so proud of my little chubber (and my own "golden utters").  He is wearing size 2 diapers now and up to 6-month clothes, depending on the brand. (I even bought his Thanksgiving outfit in 9 months because that's all they had and I couldn't resist... We'll see how that goes!) I now have a whole tub of clothes he has outgrown to be saved for another baby some day

Stats aside, we see him growing and changing every.single.day.

For example, this month I've noticed his eyebrows and eye lashes growing in and darkening a little bit.  (Something only a mother would notice, for sure.)  His hair, on the other hand, is still slow growing... And, for the record, it doesn't look nearly as red in person as it does in these photos.


Development: Sam can almost sit up by himself and loves his Bumbo now.  He is really getting good at controlling that big bobble head. :)  Recently, he has been making even more noises (including what Jeff claims is "dada") and is responding to sounds more by looking in their direction or even, sometimes, mocking them.  Sam is also paying more attention to toys now and can grab onto and hold them when he's "in the mood."  His favorite toys, though, are his own feet --- so fun!  He is still only rolling from tummy to back, but he's getting so darn close in the other direction.  I swear he'll be crawling before I know it!


Personality: This month has been a little tricky personality wise.  Sam is still full of smiles and, for the most part, pretty easy going.  BUT, he is also becoming a bit more "high maintenance."  He needs his naps and routine more now and gets cranky when we keep him awake too long or interrupt his schedule.  He is also learning how to use crying to get what he wants.  Last week, we started letting him cry for a little longer at bed time etc...  This is proving to be harder for Mom and Dad than for Sam, but overall, is going well.


Eating: This man likes his milk!  Although we had been on an every-four-hour feeding schedule, we have tried to adjust that a little bit to keep him fuller and, hopefully, help with night sleep.  Most days, he eats at 4:30, 7:30, 10:30, 2:30, 6:00, and 9:00.  At each feeding, Sam eats between five and six ounces of milk and almost eight at bedtime.  The doctor gave the go-ahead to start some "solid" foods soon, but we are planning to wait at least another month until maybe Christmas break when I am home more.  Truth be told, I get a little stressed having to think about real food on top of everything else.  We'll see...

Sleeping: Just a few short weeks ago, I wrote:  "I honestly don't know what I would do if I was working and Sam wasn't sleeping."  Well, I know now... I would groggily get up and feed/soothe him, then double-up on coffee in the morning.  Sam has regressed in his sleeping this month.  He no longer sleeps all night.  For the last three weeks or so, we have had one (sometimes two or three) feedings during the night.  Luckily, most nights, he goes right back to sleep afterward.  His pediatrician says this could be because I've gone back to work and our routine was interrupted.  It could also just be a growth spurt or any other random thing.

Sam IS sleeping in his own room now, and seems to be happy in his crib.  The sweet little bassinet is now a stuffed-animal holder in his closet.  (You will notice that I didn't take crib pictures this month.  We took the bumper out for "safe-sleeping," and it is too much work to set it up again... In the chair it is!)



Likes/Dislikes: I think our boy is going to be a social one... He seems to really enjoy "going out" whether it is to a restaurant, the mall, or the grocery store.  People always comment on his big eyes when we are out.  (They like to say "Wow, he is WIDE awake." Haha.)  We are blessed that he is easy to take along wherever we are going.  Sam also likes being swaddled (even though he is four months old, he still seems to sleep SO much better when we do this), having his head rubbed (puts him to sleep every time), having his belly and feet tickled, kicking his legs, and watching TV (don't worry - he doesn't do very much of that!).  He dislikes being burped in the middle of a feeding and not being paid attention to. ;)

Dear Sweet Baby Boy,

What did we ever do without you?  You have brought SO much joy to our lives in the last four months... Not just to daddy and I, but to your grandparents, great-grandparents, and LOTS of friends.  People love you SO much. 

I get a little teary when I think about how fast you are growing up.  Every day I like being your mom even more.  Even on the days when you are fussy and picky, your smile is the sweetest thing I've ever seen.  EVERYTHING about this journey is 100% worth it.


You have already taught me SO much... I thought I knew what sacrifice was before you, but I didn't.  I'm tired, chubby, and broken-out because of you, but I am BETTER.  You make me so.much.better.


I love that you are my boy, and I'll always be the first girl in your life.  I love you more than words can ever explain.


- Mom


P.S. I wanted to post this picture of the back of your head so you could see your little birthmarks just in case you want to shave your head or do something crazy one day.  My little baldy. ;)



2 comments:

  1. He's so sweet! I chuckled at "He could also just be a growth spurt or any other random thing" because the latter is what we say whenever our daughter changes her routine on us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man....Molly has been getting up on the middle of the night too and it is hard! Good luck. We are trying a few things, so hopefully she will get back on track.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are what makes this thing fun! I LOVE to hear from you and do my best to respond to everyone! THANK YOU!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover