home about contact sponsor why teaching midweek FAQs

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Lesson 11: It is a Privilege


I'm a few days late with this, but in catching up on some of my blog reading (read: putting off grading papers) last night, I realized that October 15th was Pregnancy and Infant Loss Remembrance Day


Reading some of my favorite bloggers' writing about their own experiences with loss reminded me of perhaps the most important lesson of motherhood so far...

Lesson #11: Motherhood is a Privilege

I think sometimes I (in real life and on my blog) can get caught up in the hard parts of being a mom.  But, it is good to stop and remember that it is a GIFT.  Having a baby is not a guaranteed in life.  I do not "deserve" it.  It might feel like a job some days, but it is a job I am incredibly blessed to have - one that many many women pray and long for every day.

At this point in my life, I don't have any direct experiences with this kind of loss; but, being a mom has made me keenly aware of how powerless I am over those things... Yes, I get caught up in the busyness of being a mom - in my own "to do" lists of laundry and feeding and chasing - but, in the quiet moments, I remember those mamas who have had to say goodbye to a baby too soon or are still waiting for their turn to receive the gift, and my heart hurts.

In honor of Pregnancy and Infant Loss Remembrance Day (but really, any day), I am saying a prayer for those mamas and babies today.  I am holding Sam just a little tighter; and I am remembering what an absolute privilege it is to be a mother.  I do not take it lightly friends.
This post is part of a series for 31 Days of Change hosted by The Nester. To see my other "lessons," click here.

1 comment:

  1. I've enjoyed all your 'lessons' over the past month, but I think this is by the far the most poignant. It is absolutely true - motherhood is an amazing privilege. Thanks for a small, but lovely post, reminding us of this.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are what makes this thing fun! I LOVE to hear from you and do my best to respond to everyone! THANK YOU!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover