home about contact sponsor why teaching midweek FAQs

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Lesson 9: The Wubbanub


I have written about the Wubbanub before, and I will continue singing its praises until they adopt me as their official sponsor because we absolutely could not have survived the first year (+ 3 months) of Sam's life without it. *Ok, we probably could have survived but it would have been much noisier. :)

This is totally one of those things that, prior to motherhood, I thought was absolutely STUPID - a dumb marketing ploy to jack up the prices on already-bad pacifiers.  But, I stumbled across this bad boy (I mean, an elephant hanging out of your mouth - how bad can you get) on some mom-blogs one groggy afternoon early on as I was trying to figure out how to get Sam to stop crying.  Desperate at that point, I promptly ordered one from Amazon and there was no looking back.

Wubby - as we affectionately call it - has been a loyal friend to Sam (and his mom and dad) ever since.

From "How to Soothe a Crying Baby" (August 2011)
Although it looks ridiculous, the size helps baby to be able to put it in his mouth sooner (like when it falls out at 3AM) and makes it much harder to lose. (We have had the same one since he was two weeks old, and one backup - for days when that one is in the wash - and those are the only two pacifiers we've ever bought.)

In fact, just this past weekend, I ventured out of the house without it (because we are really trying to break Sam's addiction), but when a mild tantrum broke out in in the kitchen aisle of TJ Maxx, I grabbed for the only plug I had - a plain old soothie.  And, wouldn't you know, within minutes that thing was lost in the sea of the store never to be seen again...

It is my "go to" gift for new moms and one of my greatest discoveries of motherhood so far. :)

So, there you have it:
Lesson #9: Buy a Wubbanub.
This post is part of a series for 31 Days of Change hosted by The Nester. To see my other "lessons," click here.

8 comments:

  1. Two things:
    1. Soothies are the best pacifiers, but they bounce and roll like crazy. We'd take 6-8 of them to mass each week, because the gals would spit out their paci or drop it, and it would end up twenty or thirty feet away from us. No joke.


    2. We always call pacifiers plugs. I've never heard anybody outside my family use that term!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandra, that's why you would LOVE the wubby... It doesn't roll at all! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If we have another baby, I will definitely get one! Lucky for me, my gals haven't used a pacifier in 6 months!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel awful, but I totally think they are lame-oooo. Nothing is worse than seeing a 2 year old with a wubba hanging out of their mouth, lol. It's hysterical! But I do get how they could help a little baby to keep it in, that part makes sense ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I will accept this... But, only because I love you! :) I agree about the 2 year old thing - but, the closer my kid gets to 2, the more acceptable it seems. ;)
    P.S. I won't pray for collicky kid to teach you the value of the Wub, but I guarantee you would change your mind! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We got one for Cam and he hates it! Well, he hates the actual pacifier, so having something heavy on the end was no bueno for him!! He loves the MAMs and since they do get lost so easily, we have about 15 of them around the house, car, purses, bags, etc...haha!! I so wanted him to love the Wubbanub, but no dice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Still so very thankful that you told us about these! We continue to use them when on the go!

    ReplyDelete
  8. my daughter will be 5 months next week and we have a soothie pacifier that i am trying to get her to suck on but always falls out of her mouth and she doesnt know what to do and gets so mad. is it worth it to get a "wubby" for her at this stage?! let me know your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are what makes this thing fun! I LOVE to hear from you and do my best to respond to everyone! THANK YOU!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover