home about contact sponsor why teaching midweek FAQs

Thursday, December 5, 2013

Poppy

Hi friends... Just popping in (haha, no pun intended) to ask for some prayers for my Poppy this afternoon...

I realized I've kind-of left you all in the dark about him for a while now - somehow I could just never make a post about hospitals, ear infections, rashes, and nursing homes fit the "tone" of the blog - but I know many of you have come to know and love Poppy through this place over the years, and he could use all the prayers he can get right now...

To make a long (and rather gross) story short, what started as a bad ear infection back in June has turned in to a full-on bone infection of his entire face, and my usually spry and fiesty Poppy is feeling pretty weak and miserable right now.  About a month ago, he had a surgery that we had hoped would bring some relief; but, instead, it has landed him in a rehab/nursing home, and his health continues to decline.  It seems that, in the last six months or so, his body finally realized that he is 95 years old.

Other than some reactions to medication, we are blessed that his mind is still pretty well intact.  He knows us all, and we've been able to have some good conversations and time together over the last few weeks.  It is hard to say how much time we have left - Tuesday, I was convinced that we were saying goodbye, and then yesterday he was awake and dressed and up for a roll down to the common room in the wheelchair.  (Of course, the fact that he is well aware of his physical condition and limitations makes some of that even more difficult too.)

Selfishly, I'm having a harder time than I thought I would seeing his decline.  As someone who talked about dying ALL THE TIME, Poppy made sure we've all known he wouldn't be here forever; but, I don't think I was at all prepared for what the process would look like.  Old age is really hard.

My prayer right now would be, first and foremost, for comfort, peace, and rest for my dear Poppy.  Please pray that this stage will not last long and that - one way or the other - God will provide relief for him.  If you would also keep my sweet mom and the rest of my family in your prayers over these next few days (or weeks/or months), we would really appreciate it.

Thanks for laughing (and crying) with me when I need it.

P.S. Here are some of my favorite Poppy posts from better days:
Poppy and Sam: A Venn Diagram
Poppyisms
Poppy Goes to the Beach
Road Rage
The Poppy That Cried Wolf


12 comments:

  1. What a wonderful, sweet prayer request. Praying for peace and relief, healing whether here or in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, E, this made me all weepy (and not just from my crazy hormones). My grandfather, my mom's dad, passed away May 2012 after a tough two years with Alzheimer's in which we had to watch an intelligent, active, and funny man crumble into someone almost unrecognizable to us. He was only 80. It was really hard. Plus I do not have the comfort that he was a believer.
    I will be praying hard for your Poppy and you and your family. Stay strong and take care. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww E!!!! I hate this. :( I love Poppy and will definitely be praying for him and your family. Love yall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sending prayers, well wishes and HUGS!

    As someone who has 3 living grandparents I so cherish my special moments with them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Saying lots of prayers for your sweet Poppy and for your family! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. sending thoughts and prayers to your poppy, you, and your entire family! I'm so sorry to hear about his poor health! Wishing your entire family some comfort and relief in such a hard time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm pretty new to reading your blog so I may not be as familiar with Poppy as others are but I can certainly empathize with you. My PaPa has Parkinson's moving over into Alzheimer's and is in a home as well so I completely understand how you feel. I'm sorry you are going through this and I hope you, Poppy, and your family have peace and love at this time and you're thought of.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Praying for your Poppy! Your Poppy reminds me of my own dear Papaw, who passed away 7 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Praying Poppy can find rest in the healing arms of Jesus! HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sorry to hear this--my grandfather isn't doing well and it's very difficult to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A beautiful tribute to an amazing man!! thanks, honey!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aww. I'm so sorry. This sounds like my grandma. She's 92 and still living on her own in her little apartment, but the over the last year, three "little things" really got the best of her. She continues to be spry and pull through, but there have been a few times where I wasn't sure. It's like her body has also suddenly realized it's old. I'm so thankful for each recovery, but so sad and worried because I know one day that won't be the case.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are what makes this thing fun! I LOVE to hear from you and do my best to respond to everyone! THANK YOU!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover