So, here goes...
Lesson #4: Don't Buy Cute 0 - 3 Month Baby Clothes
On the surface, this might sound like a very simple concept. An "easy" lesson, perhaps. But, if you have ever wandered the baby section of a department store (or, ahhh, Baby Gap) and held up the tiniest little outfits you've ever seen, you probably understand this.
As you probably know, I'm passionate about baby clothes. I love them. And, the sad truth is that they really are their absolute most precious and pure and irresistible the smaller they are. (UGG, don't get me started on the cargo short and graphic tee phenomenon that is 'toddler' boy clothes today.) BUT, do not be sucked into their trap. You do NOT need seven million and one outfits for your seven pounder. I repeat - do not buy cute clothes in sizes smaller than three months. (Ok, maybe like one or two
or five really cute ones for special occasions - but that's it.)
Here's why: (Most) babies that size are going to spend about 75% of their time sleeping. The other 25% of the time is spent spitting up or pooping (all over their clothes every.single.blasted.time). Besides that, you really aren't going to leave your house that much in those first few months - besides a weekly trip to Target, obviously. (Our pediatrician advised that we not take Sam around any crowds until he was at least 6 weeks old - and that was in the summer!) And, when you are home, there is really nothing more precious than a simple diapered ball of cuteness. (Trust me on this.)
In addition, they will grow SO fast in those first few weeks - seriously, they will basically be a teenager by their first birthday - you'll be packing up those teeny tinies before you can so much as finish your thank you notes (or fit in your pre-baby jeans - see here)!
I know how tempting it is going to be; but, really... Don't buy them. Settle for several packs of white onesies and some sweet (but budget-friendly) footsie pajamas.
Instead, invest in trendy blankets (like these, my faves). They come in lots of great patterns and are the perfect accessory to any onesie, and a lot less likely to be stained a brownish-yellow color. ;) Or, if you really must buy clothes, buy them in size 12 months & up (or, at the very least six)... Believe me, by the time you get there, people aren't busting down your door every second with a new present or gift card, and kids grow a lot slower after about 9 months, so they will actually get some wear out of their clothes. *Personally, I recommend shopping consignment & second-hand except for special events; but, that's another lesson for another day...
For now, my pillow is calling my name! Happy (almost) Friday!
This post is part of a series for 31 Days of Change hosted by The Nester. To see my other "lessons," click here.